Location, Beneficiaries, and Burden
Beneficiaries must be situated within selected countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America / Caribbean that have been identified by the WHO or UNICEF as vitamin A deficient priority countries (i.e. experience moderate to severe VAD). Grant recipients must target only beneficiaries 6-59 months of age, and/or pregnant or lactating women, AND
- Beneficiaries must be underserved with respect to access to essential micronutrients, generally meaning they meet one of the following criteria:
- Reside in a rural area without any immediate access to facility-based health care services, OR
- Reside in a rural area but may obtain routine health services through outreach or community-based services, OR
- Reside in an urban area without access to facility-based health care services, OR
- Reside in an urban area, have access to facility-based health care services, but the health service system does not have immediate access to essential micronutrients
In addition, to reviewing all field partner responsibilities listed above, applications should review all Eligibility Requirements to ensure they qualify for a micronutrient grant.
- Permanent in-country facility with local professional staff,
- Registered as a locally recognized entity (i.e. non-governmental organization, clinic, etc) in the country in which micronutrient products will be distributed to beneficiaries,
- Serve a minimum of 1,000 children under 5 and/or 100 women with micronutrients,
- Be able to legally transport all donated product into the project country and clear customs appropriately without assistance from VA (NGOs that do not have a US based presence must be able to accept delivery of an international shipment and clear customs appropriately without assistance from VA),
- Have capacity to and plan to provide micronutrients to the same project areas for at least 3 years, and
- Agree to the terms and conditions listed in the grantee application
Please note Vitamin Angels does NOT provide product for traveling medical missions abroad. We focus our resources on in-country micronutrient programs that are ongoing and reach the same children year upon year for greater impact. If you are with a traveling medical mission and want to take vitamins with you, please pass our information on to the local in-country partner you will be visiting/supporting to apply to Vitamin Angels directly. Or, we recommend that you search for other nonprofit organization geared toward provision of health care.