POSITION: Continuing Education (CE) / Continuing Medical Education (CME) Manager
EMPLOYER: The Vitamin Angels Alliance, Inc. (VA)
LOCATION: On-site or remote
Vitamin Angels (VA) is a global public health nutrition organization that promotes health and economic equity across the lifespan by ensuring that nutritionally vulnerable, underserved populations have access to evidence-based nutrition interventions. VA focuses on interventions that target the first 1,000 days of life (i.e., from conception through 24 months of age) and children up to 5 years of age.
VA’s approach is premised on the reality that at least half of the global population still lacks access to essential health services. 1 VA works with governments, academia, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs), at both the national and local level, to reduce common barriers to access across a range of nutrition-specific interventions. By reducing barriers to access, VA’s work contributes to breaking the cycle of undernutrition which ultimately promotes health and economic equity across the lifespan for underserved populations.
VA supports the delivery of evidence-based nutrition interventions to 70M nutritionally vulnerable mothers and children in underserved communities in 70 countries (including the US, Canada, and the UK) through a network of over 2,500 program partners.
ROLE OR PURPOSE OF POSITION
The CE/CME Manager will develop and implement a CE/CME strategy to bring continuing education pertaining to innovations in nutrition to a global audience of healthcare workers and communicate the results of implementation research and clinical research discovery to the world.
Working as a member of VA’s Learning Solutions team, the CE/CME manager will develop and implement VA’s CE/CME program using channels that target accredited providers, universities, associations, and NGOs in a way that promotes, exemplifies, and furthers the vision, mission2 and values of VA.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop, manage, and implement a written strategy that describes VA’s CE/CME program
• Develop and build partnerships with CE/CME providers across the world to accredit, deliver, and host VA-developed content
• Manage content development of CE/CME material to be delivered primarily online
• Manage the development of mobile support tools that complement CE/CME courses and provide lifelong learning opportunities to reinforce course learning
• Stay abreast of emerging trends and issues in CE/CME and ensure that VA’s CE/CME program conforms to local legal requirements and standards for continuing education
• Ensure that VA’s CE/CME program is instructionally sound and delivered according to evidence-based educational strategies
• Stay abreast of emerging technology and ensure that technological standards are up-to-date and accessible to a global audience of users
• Works with Learning Solutions Manager to develop an annual budget that optimizes available funds to maximize impact of VA’s CE/CME programs
• Manage outside contractors and partners consistent with allocated funds
• Work with VA’s M&E Unit to evaluate VA’s CE/CME efficacy and efficiency and perform corrective action and quality improvement when needed
LEVEL OF DECISION-MAKING
Within the bounds of VA’s mission, values and policies, and sound professional practices, the CE/CME Manager works to create all CE/CME offerings and provides day-to-day oversight and guidance to outsourced vendors supporting the implementation of VA’s CE/CME offerings. S/he is free to manage his/her activities in whatever way best serves VA clients, partners, and employees. Specific authorities and implementation procedures will be determined in conjunction with the Learning Solutions Manager.
VA operates under a collaborative, matrix management model. The CE/CME Manger supervises all CE/CME activities and interacts with all members of VA’s Program Division team. The CE/CME Manager establishes his/her daily work priorities and ensures that all responsibilities are conducted consistent with accepted best practices, sound professional judgment and within established schedule and budget.
- Learning Solutions Manager
CE/CME activity vendors
Primary Working Relationships:
Learning Solutions Manager
Subject Matter Experts
Senior Vice President for Nutrition
Division staff, advisors, and short-term independent contractors
CME staff at partner institutions
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED AND DESIRED)
• At least five year’s experience developing and managing CE/CME activities. Relevant experience may include: i) the continuing medical education activities of a medical society or health care organization, ii) the development of new educational programs and products, and iii) improvements in the education of health professionals
• Advanced degree in a relevant field (ideally in Adult Education, Quality Improvement, or a healthcare-related field - e.g. Public Health, Nursing, Health Education, Hospital and Healthcare Administration)
• Demonstrated ability to develop new CE/CME initiatives, particularly for organizations that are rapidly expanding and entering new lines of work
• Experience balancing the development of new CE/CME initiatives while managing day-to-day operations
• Current knowledge of adult learning theory and practices, plus current and emerging technologies for education delivery to health care professionals
• Demonstrated experience managing relationships with consultants, contractors and vendors on short and long-term educational projects Excellent communication skills including presentations, writing, active listening, and synthesizing information from diverse sources when working with colleagues, members, and volunteers
• Ability to organize and execute multiple high-quality programs and activities on-budget and according to established timelines
• Proven track record of successful collaboration with internal and external constituents
• Works well independently and in a team environment
• Leadership experience; project management experience; managing channels/partnerships
• Experience in communicating evidence-based medicine through practical learning programs designed to accelerate the transfer of research to practice
• Knowledge of ACCME, AMA, the Medical Specialty Boards, Stanford and other selected accrediting bodies’ standards and regulations, including international standards
CHALLENGES OF THE POSITION
The special challenges for the CE/CME Manager are multi-fold. S/he must: i) function effectively in an organization under continuing transformation and growth, ii) provide steady, top-level guidance and experience to all CE/CME efforts in a collegial/collaborative environment while understanding risk management for non-profits that operate in the health care arena, iii) be comfortable with an organization that seeks to apply, as feasible, market and business oriented solutions to its non-profit work, iv) function within a working environment that demands entrepreneurial orientation, self-initiative and collaboration among many team members both internal and external to VA, v) possess an ability to work effectively/efficiently and thrive in an environment in which many VA team members both internal and external to the Program Division are situated out of a home office in multiple time zones and accessible only by videoconference, phone and email, and vi) understand the need to balance marketing and development requests with the need to ensure that program decisions are not donor driven.
To apply, interested persons should submit a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae to:
Maureen Boyle, Director of Human Resources
E-mail: [email protected]
Resumes will be accepted until December 15, 2020 or until a qualified applicant is identified.
Comprehensive benefit package includes: Medical, Dental and Vision Care, Life Insurance, 401(k), Paid Time Off, Holidays, Wellness Program and more.