Employer: The Vitamin Angel Alliance, Inc. (VA)
Location: Goleta, CA
Department: Corporate Services
Date: August, 2020
Role or Purpose of Position
Vitamin Angels is seeking an experienced Controller. Vitamin Angels is a 501(c)3 non profit that operates in all 50 states and in 70 countries around the world.
This new role within the Corporate Services team will report to the Chief Financial Officer. We are investing in growing our accounting team in order to standardize the accounting functions and meet the reporting and analysis demands of key stakeholders such as our Board, technical partners, corporate donors, and the CFO. This person will be an expert in accounting processes, including oversight in the month-end close, variance analysis, budgeting and forecasting, reporting, and process improvement. Two critical components of this role would be to 1) define best practices and improve upon existing processes within the accounting and reporting functions, and 2) develop innovative and informative reporting using financial and nonfinancial metrics.
This is an excellent position for someone who wants to take existing processes, improve upon them, add tremendous value, and have a direct impact on supporting the growth of our organization. The Vitamin Angels office is remaining closed through the end of 2020. Accordingly, this position will be a remote, work-from-home position through 2020.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct and lead the annual budgeting process, including quarterly forecasting.
- Work with the Staff Accountant on the annual audit and 990 tax forms.
- Continually evaluate and develop sound financial controls.
- Oversee VA’s progress and compliance necessary to maintain Vitamin Angels’ 4-star Charity Navigator rating.
- Assist the CFO in providing reports to stakeholders such as key donors and the Board of Directors.
- Assist the CFO with financial reporting and oversight of VA international entities (Canada, UK, India, Philippines, and others as they are formed).
- Conceptualize and create new reports for financial information and nonfinancial in order to optimize VA’s use of its accounting system, Intacct. Create dashboard reports for different audiences and budget managers.
- Interact with other department leaders to keep informed of progress to date against budget and any material developments or changes to budget.
- Review and approve all payment requests submitted by the Staff Accountant prior to payment.
- Review and approve bi-monthly payroll.
- Define best practices and develop standard operating procedures for a timely financial close. Such as:
- Monthly variance analysis
- Review P&L and Balance Sheet for completeness and accuracy
- Account reconciliations
- International consolidations
- Allocation of costs to specific program interventions
- Recording statistical journal entries (headcount, beneficiary reach, NGOs served, etc). Provide analysis and offer insight on these nonfinancial metrics to the CFO.
- Provide a monthly reporting package to the CFO for her review.
- Review and approve bank reconciliations, JEs, etc.
Reports to: CFO
Supervises: 1 Staff Accountant
Primary Working Relationships: CFO, Director of Information Technology, SVP of Operations, Budget Managers for each department (Development, Marketing, and Programs).
Travel Required: No
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Required and Preferred)
- B.Sc degree in a relevant discipline (accounting, finance, management) from an accredited university.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a Controller or Director of Accounting/Finance (or similar) role
- Work history with progressive responsibility
- Advanced excel skills
- Highly computer literate
- Experience with drafting standard operating procedures
- Proven track record of process improvement within the accounting department
- Advanced ability to build reports in an advanced accounting system (like Intacct, Netsuite, Microsoft Dynamics, Oracle, etc)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Superior interpersonal skills
Preferred (not required):
- Combination of Public Accounting (Big 4 or mid-tier) and corporate accounting experience
- Nonprofit experience
- Active or Inactive CPA license
- Experience with Intacct (or similar cloud-based accounting ERP) and Salesforce.
To apply, interested persons should submit a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae to:
Maureen Boyle, Director of Human Resources
E-mail: [email protected]
Resumes will be accepted until September 30, 2020 or until a qualified applicant is identified.
BENEFITS: Comprehensive benefit package includes: Medical, Dental and Vision Care, Life Insurance, 401(k), Paid Time Off, Holidays, Wellness Program and more.