Position: DEI & Learning Associate Director
Employer: Vitamin Angels Alliance, Inc. (VA)
Division: Corporate Services
Location: Flexible. This person can work remotely from anywhere in the US or work from our corporate headquarters in Goleta, CA or our office in Chicago, IL, or any combination thereof.
About Vitamin Angels:
Vitamin Angels is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We are a dedicated group of individuals whose mission is to help at-risk populations in need – specifically pregnant women, new mothers, and children under five – gain access to lifesaving and life changing vitamins and minerals. We are committed to fostering a supportive environment where everyone can contribute, thrive, and grow.
Role or Purpose of Position
Vitamin Angels is seeking an experienced DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) & Learning Associate Director. Vitamin Angels is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that operates in all 50 states and in 70 countries around the world.
This new role within the Corporate Services team will report to the HR Director and will be a part of the Human Resources team. They will work closely with Vitamin Angels’ DEI Council and process owners to deliver on the objectives set in the DEI Strategy and Action Plan.
The primary purpose of this position to:
- Lead the DEI Council and help support the organization’s DEI initiatives.
- Design and implement learning programs and strategies for all employees
- Serve as a DEI resource for the organization.
This is an excellent position for someone who is passionate about creating a more diverse, equitable, inclusive, and welcoming world, and wants to build out learning and development strategy and programing from the ground up.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Partner with various stakeholders across the organization to develop bar-raising DEI programs and processes.
- Work with HR to assess and improve attracting and recruiting, and performance management processes to promote equity, reduce unconscious bias, and foster inclusivity.
- Develop mechanisms to gather feedback and plans to analyze, prioritize, and implement changes to our DEI Strategy and Action Plan.
- Engage with DEI stakeholders in a consultative way to identify and efficiently meet the DEI needs of the organization.
- Engage with donors to provide guidance and best practices around VA-related DEI initiatives and how it supports ESG donor initiatives.
- Participate in onboarding of all new staff, introducing them to VA’s DEI commitment, processes, and systems.
- Act as administrator for third-party training systems.
- Create and deliver high level educational materials and documents on DEI concepts such as inclusive language and mitigating bias, including creating and managing a Vitamin Angels “learning hub”. Evaluate, monitor, measure, and report the learning and development activities throughout the organization to promote continuous improvement through training needs analysis, developing training plans and identifying training resources and materials.
- In collaboration with HR and VA Leadership, establish a comprehensive set of metrics to measure the impact of our training, processes, and programs in driving inclusive behaviors.
- Work with the SVP of Operations and CFO to develop an internal employee mentorship program.
- Partner with all levels of the organization and outside resources to help identify and implement training directives.
- Coach and mentor hiring managers, human resources, and senior leadership on diversity issues and trends. Leads development of staff to support a strong focus on inclusion in the workplace.
- Stay up to date on emerging research and determine best practices for modeling fairness and inclusive language.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Level of Decision-Making
Within the bounds of VA’s mission, values and policies, and sound professional practices, the DEI and Learning Associate Director has the broad discretion to use independent judgement to manage their activities in whatever way will best serve VA clients, partners, employees, and mission.
VA operates under a collaborative, matrix management model. The DEI and Learning Associate Director is supervised by the Director of HR, or their designee, and coordinates their activities with a range of members of the VA team. Each VA team member establishes work priorities and ensures that their individual activities are continuing within the context of an established schedule and budget.
Reports to: Director of HR
Primary Working Relationships: CEO, CFO, SVP of Operations, DEI Council Members, Culture & Values Committee members, Corporate Services Coordinator, and external DEI consultants.
Travel Required: 0-15%. If working remotely, traveling to the corporate headquarters at least once a year is expected. Some trainings may be preferable to conducted in person as well.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Learning & Development and/or DEI with 3 years of experience in leadership roles within DEI
- Work history with progressive responsibility
- Deep understanding of societal systems of bias, and ability to apply this knowledge to invent, evolve, improve, and simplify business and HR processes
- Deep understanding of DEI analytics, specifically inclusion or engagement analytics
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment requiring strong multi-tasking abilities
- Experience demonstrating high judgment and working with confidential or highly sensitive subject matter
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and drive them to completion
- Excellent written, verbal communication, interpersonal skills; high quality document and report preparation
- Experience designing and leading DEI education or trainings
- Experience designing and leading other leadership trainings.
- Ability to manage stress, including but not limited to stress resulting from large crowds, open spaces, shared office space, and daily activities.
- Ability to remain seated for extended periods of time, including but not limited to general job assignments perform at a desk.
Click here to apply. Applications will be accepted until March 10 or until a qualified applicant is identified.
Benefits: Comprehensive benefit package includes: Medical, Dental and Vision Care, Life Insurance, 401(k), Paid Time Off, Holidays, Wellness Program and more.