Position: Digital Asset Specialist
Employer: Vitamin Angels Alliance, Inc.
Date: May 2022
Location: Flexible. This person can work remotely from anywhere in the U.S. or from our corporate headquarters in Goleta, CA or our office in Chicago, IL, or any combination thereof.
About Vitamin Angels
Founded in 1994, Vitamin Angels is a public health nonprofit working to improve nutrition and health outcomes in low-resource settings worldwide. We strengthen, extend, and amplify the impact of our partner organizations working to reach the most nutritionally vulnerable groups – pregnant women, infants, and children – who are underserved by existing systems. We deliver evidence-based interventions and offer technical assistance, including ongoing monitoring and evaluation, to ensure program quality, scale, and impact. Vitamin Angels works with over 1,200 local organizations, including governments, to reach more than 70 million women and children in 65 countries annually. Both Charity Navigator and GuideStar give Vitamin Angels their highest marks for financial transparency.
Vitamin Angels is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We are committed to fostering a supportive environment where everyone can contribute, thrive, and grow.
Role or Purpose of the Position
The Digital Asset Specialist (DAS) is responsible for the strategic implementation, ongoing optimization, and administration of Vitamin Angels’ digital asset management platform and stewardship of the Marketing Division’s digital assets across their lifecycle. Specifically, this individual is responsible for creating and maintaining systems and storage that sustainably host the Marketing Division’s assets and ensuring the accessibility, accuracy, and integrity of those assets for use by the organization.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Digital Asset Management Systems
- Lead the Marketing Division’s ongoing integration of Canto, a Digital Asset Management (DAM) system, including library and portal creation, testing, cross-divisional training, and support.
- Collaborate cross-divisionally to integrate the DAM platform with organizational systems and tools.
- Serve as lead DAM administrator, controlling key functionalities and features and managing user access and roles.
- Train and facilitate proper usage of DAM system across all departments and regions.
- Obtain user feedback and lead ongoing optimization and enhancements of the tool.
- Monitor the access and use of digital assets, ensuring brand consistency, compliance, ownership and copyrights.
- Maintain best practices by implementing and updating the digital standard operation procedure (SOP) documents.
Digital Asset Management
- Responsible for overseeing the lifecycle of digital assets for Marketing, including implementing, evolving, and upholding asset stewardship workflows from collection to production.
- Define and continuously evolve asset management best practices, including taxonomy and metadata requirements, naming conventions, organization, ownership and usage rights, etc.
- Facilitate the upload or transfer of assets into the DAM, helping to train contractors and creators on properly delivering assets for ingestion.
- Lead ingestion of new assets into the DAM platform receiving, processing, organizing, naming, reviewing metadata, relating releases, assigning keywords/tagging for content optimization, ease of discovery, and ensuring accurate usage rights.
- Obtain, format, and relate transcripts and translations of video and audio files.
- Back up all approved assets to offline storage (remotely).
- Make approved assets available for consumption in Canto by assigning access permissions and notifying stakeholders of new/available content.
- Create and maintain portals within Canto.
- Fulfill requests for existing assets, including sourcing assets, minor editing, cropping, resizing, watermark application, etc.
- Upload finished videos to hosting platforms.
- Grant asset use approvals by confirming usage rights, information accuracy, photo credits, etc. At times, obtain approvals from stakeholders or subjects.
- Perform quality control measures for data integrity and hygiene, such as ensuring assets and portals adhere to current best practices, archiving expired assets, and removing discontinued offerings.
- Basic video editing, limited scope and complexity.
- Equipment and Device inventory oversight (hard drives, microphones, etc)
Level of Decision Making
Within the bounds of VA's mission, values and policies, and sound professional practices, he Digital Asset Specialist has the discretion to use independent judgment to make decisions of significant consequence that affect VA clients, partners, and employees. The Associate Director of Brand Marketing will determine specific authorities associated with this position and its implementation.
VA operates under a collaborative management model. The Digital Asset Specialist reports to the Associate Director of Brand Marketing concerning overall assignments and performance and interacts daily with other team members to coordinate their activities. The Digital Asset Specialist establishes their daily work priorities but does so with the support and mentorship of the Associate Director of Brand Marketing and the VP of Marketing, and in collaboration with the Marketing Division at large.
Primary working relationships:
No. Optional travel to Vitamin Angels’ offices in Goleta, CA (~2x/yr)
Experience & Qualifications
- Education or equivalent experience in Digital Media, Digital Library or Information Science, or a related field.
- 2+ years working with Asset Management Systems. Experience with Canto a plus.
- Well-developed knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Working knowledge of Office & Google Suite and internal communication platforms.
- Ability to develop, effectively implement, document, and maintain organizational processes and systems.
- Applied experience with a wide range of digital file formats, digital reformatting standards, as well as metadata and taxonomy best practices.
- Ability to quickly learn and use software and application tools; and motivation to engage in ongoing and in-depth learning.
- The ability to quickly adapt to, and work in, a fast-paced environment with a service-driven mindset.
- Vigilant attention to detail and drive to ensure data accuracy.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Highly organized.
- Strong time and project management skills with the ability to work independently.
- Skillful written and verbal communication.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage stress, including but not limited to stress resulting from shared office space (if applicable) and daily activities.
- Ability to remain seated for extended periods of time, including but not limited to general job assignments perform at a desk.
- Experience leading or supporting cross-platform integrations with asset management systems.
- Working knowledge of video and editing principles.
- Experience in rights and release management. Including, awareness of legal and ethical issues in the context of nonprofit and audio/visual work and ability to handle assets that contain sensitive and sometimes confidential information with care and tact.
Challenges of the Position
Challenges unique to the position include i) building and implementing a sustainable asset management infrastructure to support long-term organizational needs and expansion, ii) training internal and external stakeholders on the use of the DAM and providing ongoing support, iii) collaborating with global stakeholders on asset intake and distribution, and iv) recognition that subjects featured in assets are real people in real-life situations and their right to consensual, accurate and authentic depiction is primary; demanding exceptional attention to detail to protect subjects, partners, and the organization from risk.
From an organizational perspective, this person must function effectively within an environment i) undergoing continual transformation and growth, ii) dependent on self-initiative and collaboration among many team members, both internal and external, and iii) in which team members are situated in different time zones and accessible only by phone, email, or videoconferencing software.
Comprehensive benefits package includes Medical, Dental, and Vision Care, Life Insurance, 401(k), Paid Time Off, Holidays, Wellness Program, and more.
Applications will be accepted until May 31, 2022, or a qualified applicant is identified.