Position: International Compliance Manager
Employer: The Vitamin Angel Alliance, Inc. (VA):
Date: August 2021
Location: Flexible. This person can work remotely from anywhere in the continental US or work from our corporate headquarters in Goleta, CA or our office in Chicago, IL, or any combination thereof.
Vitamin Angels is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We are a dedicated group of individuals whose mission is to help at-risk populations in need – specifically pregnant women, new mothers, and children under five – gain access to lifesaving and life changing vitamins and minerals. We are committed to fostering a supportive environment where everyone can contribute, thrive, and grow.
Role or Purpose of Position
Vitamin Angels is seeking an experienced International Compliance Manager. Vitamin Angels is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that operates in all 50 states and in 65 countries around the world.
This new role within the Corporate Services team will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will be a part of the Legal and Compliance team. As Vitamin Angels is growing, we are establishing registered offices and nonprofits internationally. Currently, we have established registered nonprofits or foreign offices in Canada, UK, India, the Philippines, and will be adding more in the coming years.
The primary purpose of this position to 1) assist in the establishment of new offices around the world 2) establish and enforce policies and procedures surrounding governance and compliance for each entity and 3) maintain all tax and regulatory filings for each entity. This is an excellent position for someone who wants to create policy and processes from scratch and have significant influence in the growth of our organization. Training and resources will be available for your success.
The International Compliance Manager is part of the Corporate Services Division, reporting to the Chief Financial Officer. This position will work to promote, exemplify and further the mission, values and culture of Vitamin Angels.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Support country office registration process, including new registrations/renewals.
- Work with CFO, Controller, in country legal and accounting advisors, and in-country teams to file all monthly, quarterly, annual tax and other compliance related filings.
- For newly formed offices/entities, work with tax, accounting, and legal advisors in-country to determine what policies and procedures are required. Create and maintain policies and procedures for each country office related to governance of that entity. Monitor compliance with all policies and procedures.
- Work with the CFO to coordinate all international office board meetings (VA Canada, VA UK, VA India, etc.) including attendance, taking notes and drafting the minutes. Maintain records on all votes and actions taken by the Boards.
- Assist the CFO in any recruiting and onboarding of new board members for each international (country) office, representative of country stakeholders.
- Responsible for donor compliance and other regulatory requirements related to the successful operation and management of country offices.
- Work with local in-country teams and attorneys to draft partnership agreements, non-disclosure agreements, MOUs, and other donor communications.
- In liaison with the CFO, design and implement systems and procedures that are compliant with local guidelines and laws, ensuring effective internal controls and minimizing risk for Vitamin Angels.
- Oversee the integration of policies and procedures into country office operations.
- Provide advice on organizational policy and procedures and ensure tools and other documentation are updated or adapted.
- Provide employee training on compliance related topics as necessary.
- Support set up of local bank accounts and establishment of bank signatories.
- Establish an environment of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, a commitment to quality, welcomes and encourages collaboration, and fosters both intra and inter-departmental dialogue and respect.
- Operate in line with VA’s DEI commitment and values
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: CFO
Primary Working Relationships: CFO, Controller, Contracts and Compliance Manager, SVP of Operations, external advisors (attorneys, tax and accounting professionals).
Travel Required: None. If working remotely, traveling to the corporate headquarters at least once a year may be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Required and Preferred)
- Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline (tax, law, finance, management) from an accredited university OR equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in an international compliance / financial related role (preferably at a nonprofit)
- Work history with progressive responsibility
- Extensive experience in writing and interpreting policy and standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Experience working in multiple jurisdictions
- Experience working directly with international teams of varying cultural and language backgrounds (employees, accountants, tax advisors, and attorneys)
- Highly computer literate
- Proven track record of process improvement
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Preferred (not required):
- Nonprofit experience
- Paralegal certificate
- Active or Inactive CPA license
To apply, interested persons should submit a cover letter; and a resume or curriculum vitae to: Maureen Boyle, Director of Human Resources.
E-mail: [email protected];
Resumes will be accepted until September 1, 2021 or until a qualified applicant is identified.
Comprehensive benefit package includes: Medical, Dental and Vision Care, Life Insurance, 401(k), Paid Time Off, Holidays, Wellness Program and more.