Purpose of Position
The main purpose of the position is to: i) manage all aspects of moving commodities/products for US/Canada projects on VA’s behalf in a timely, safe and cost-effective manner; ii) document each step of every shipment made; iii) assist in data entry for shipments made in VA administrative priority countries and help with inventory reconciliation and iv) support VA’s Logistics Specialist in areas pertaining to VA’s logistics needs, including some international shipments. S/he assists in all aspects of distribution logistics while maintaining a collaborative working relationship with staff of VA’s other Divisions and while working to promote, exemplify and further the mission, values and culture of VA.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The major duties and responsibilities of the Logistics Coordinator are multi-purpose and may evolve over time, but include:
Manage all aspects of moving commodities/products for US/Canada projects on VA’s behalf in a timely, safe and cost-effective manner
- Allocate appropriate batches to US/Canada grants
- Request shipping quotes from shipping companies as required
- Cause shipping to occur (and be orchestrated) by the in-kind donor, the recipient and/or an independent shipping agent
- Coordinate, support, monitor and otherwise facilitate all requisite communication among all parties to all shipping transactions (e.g., communications among representatives of the in-kind donor, the recipient, the consignee, and the shipping agent, etc.),
- Track shipments until accepted by consignee (or disposition of a shipment is completed), maintain documentary proof of accepted shipments, and confirm transaction is complete with the programs division, and
- Monitor grantee/recipient sensitivities and abilities regarding shipment and storage (e.g., size of shipment is not too large for the recipient to handle, especially if delivering to an office instead of a warehouse).
Document each step of every shipment made
- Update Vitamin Angels’ commodity inventory using Salesforce/Rootstock inventory management system
- Track all US/Canada shipments until received and retain receipt notifications in shipment files,
- Maintain comprehensive logistics files for each shipment at VA headquarters office with documentary information showing completion of each step of shipping process, and
- Email requests for missing receipt confirmation for international shipments, and notify the Logistics Specialist if any clearance/shipment issues are shared by the recipient.
Assist in data entry for shipments made in VA administrative priority countries and help with inventory reconciliation
- Enter shipments made by VA administrative priority countries in Salesforce/Rootstock inventory management system),
- Review inventory count for multiple VA warehouse locations at the end of each quarter, and
- Assist in the year-end inventory reconciliation and confirmation from VA Warehouses.
Support VA’s Logistics Specialist in areas pertaining to VA’s logistics needs including, but not limited to
- Filing, and
- Packaging and shipping of instructional materials.
Level of Decision-Making
Within the bounds of VA’s mission, values and policies, brand and sound professional practices, the Logistics Coordinator is free to manage his/her activities to deliver results and best serve VA clients, partners and employees – while being coached/mentored by an experienced Logistics Specialist. Specific authorities associated with this position and their implementation procedures will be determined in conjunction with the Logistics Specialist.
VA operates under a collaborative, matrix management model. The Logistics Coordinator is supervised by the Logistics Specialist, coordinates his/her activities with the Logistics Specialist and Program Management Staff, and interacts daily with a range of members of the VA team. Each VA team member establishes work priorities and ensures that their individual activities are continuing within the context of an established schedule and budget.
Reports to: Logistics Specialist
Supervises: None at this time
Primary working relationships:
· Logistics Specialist
· Senior Program Managers
· Regional Program Managers
· Field Partners
Travel required: Nominal
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Required and Desired)
· Minimum BA/BSc degree from an accredited university,
· Proficiency with information technology (e.g., basic office tools including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; practical understanding of Internet applications use; practical knowledge of relational databases; and/or other software tools that support management of distribution logistics,
· Superior organizational, interpersonal and communications skills (written/oral) required, and
· S/he must be entrepreneurial, goal-oriented, and self-directed.
· Minimum 1-year experience working in the area of distribution logistics,
· Experience with dietary supplement and pharmaceutical shipping requirements and regulations.
Challenges of the Position
The challenge to the individual holding the Logistics Coordinator position is functioning in an environment characterized by growth and transition. On an ongoing basis, the main challenge to the Logistics Coordinator is an ability to thrive in an environment that requires significant self-initiative and collaboration among many team members both internal and external to VA.
Position: Full Time
Travel Required: Some
Position Location: Santa Barbara, CA
To apply, interested persons should submit a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae; to M. Boyle, Corporate Services Manager:
E-mail: email@example.com; or
Resumes will be accepted until July 30, 2019 or until a qualified applicant is identified.
Comprehensive benefit package includes: Medical, Dental and Vision care, Life Insurance, 401(k), Paid Time Off, Holidays, and more.
 Our mission is to help at-risk populations in need – specifically pregnant women, new mothers, and children under five – gain access to lifesaving and life changing vitamins and minerals.