Major Duties and Illustrative Responsibilities
The M&E Specialist, as a member of the M&E Unit of the Program Division, works collaboratively with other members of the M&E Unit to fulfill a range of duties, including:
- Data collection systems design, implementation and support, including ongoing management of data sets,
- Selected data collection activities pertaining to key performance indicators,
- Data management, analysis, interpretation of results, and preparation of draft reports on program activities and progress, including recommendations, and
- Design, implement, and report on operational research undertaken by the M&E Unit, coverage surveys and other specialized surveys that respond to VA’s organizational needs.
A sampling of some of the illustrative responsibilities associated with each major duty are enumerated below.
Data collection systems design and support, including management of data sets
- Assist to develop policies and procedures for effective data management, analyses and reporting within the Program Division.
- Help update, implement and refine the system that delivers ongoing collection of data that underpins VA’s Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Ensure that data sets required to support VA’s KPIs are up to date, and effectively maintained and managed.
- Make recommendations regarding ways to improve KPI data collection within the Program Division’s operational activities.
- Train international consultants to conduct all categories of on-site monitoring visits that contribute to KPIs, and ensure standardization of data collection across countries.
- Provide technical input to inform the development of a more efficient, user-friendly digital data collection strategy.
- Make recommendations pertaining to strategies to improve on-site monitoring and data collection process and procedures.
Selected data collection activities pertaining to key performance indicators
- Conduct monitoring visits to VA field partners in countries where VA does not employ a country program advisor in Asia, Africa and Latin American & the Caribbean or in any country in which VA needs additional hands-on support to implement routine or specialized data collection.
Data analysis, interpretation of results, and preparation of draft reports on program activities and progress, including recommendations.
- Design and implement data analysis required to support KPI reports sufficient to maintain a quarterly report out on KPIs.
- Provide a preliminary interpretation of quarterly results on KPIs to the M&E Manager.
- Propose recommendations to operational activities that derive from the preliminary interpretation of results on KPIs.
- Propose ways to improve operational activities (both the program activities and the methods of data collection).
Design, implement, and report on other data-related activities undertaken by the M&E Unit, including operational research, coverage surveys and other specialized surveys that respond to VA’s organizational needs.
- Work with the M&E Manager to develop and implement operational research, coverage surveys and other data collection efforts undertaken by the Program Division
- Advise the M&E Manager and Program Division in the development of specialized data collection efforts from an analytic perspective
- Conduct other tasks and take on responsibilities within the M&E Unit and Program Division as needed.
Level of Decision-Making
Within the bounds of VA’s mission, values and policies, and sound professional practices, the M&E Specialist is free to manage his/her activities in whatever way will best serve VA clients, partners and employees. Specific authorities associated with this position and their implementation procedures will be determined in conjunction with the M&E Manager and Director of Programs.
VA operates under a collaborative, matrix management model. The M&E Specialist is supervised by the M&E Manager with respect to overall assignments and performance, and interacts daily with other team members to coordinate his/her activities. The M&E Specialist establishes his/her own daily work priorities, but does so consistent with the needs of the M&E Manager and Program Division, schedules and budget.
|Reports to/Supervised by:||M&E Manager|
|Supervises:||None at this time, although interns may be engaged and managed|
|Primary working relationships:||
|Travel (U.S. + International) required||Yes (25%)|
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Required and Desired)
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline from an accredited university
- Minimum two years of experience engaged in data management and analysis related to monitoring and evaluation
- Strong quantitative analysis skills (e.g. descriptive and inferential statistics) and demonstrated experience collecting, cleaning, and managing data sets using statistical software (e.g. R, SPSS, SAS, STATA, etc.)
- Superior written/oral communications skills, interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and
- Computer literacy.
Highly desirable (Preference to be given to candidates with any of the following knowledge, skills or abilities):
- Specialized expertise in some aspect of health or public health
- Minimum one year of experience working in a relevant position in a low and middle-income country environment
- Loves data!
- Experience using Salesforce.com or other online databases
- Understanding of the role of nutrition in public health programming.
This role is based in Santa Barbara, CA