POSITION: Multimedia Designer
EMPLOYER: The Vitamin Angels Alliance, Inc. (VA)
Vitamin Angels (VA) is a global public health nutrition organization that promotes health and economic equity across the lifespan by ensuring that nutritionally vulnerable, underserved populations have access to evidence-based nutrition interventions. VA focuses on interventions that target the first 1,000 days of life (i.e., from conception through 24 months of age) and children up to 5 years of age.
VA’s approach is premised on the reality that at least half of the global population still lacks access to essential health services. 1 VA works with governments, academia, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs), at both the national and local level, to reduce common barriers to access across a range of nutrition-specific interventions. By reducing barriers to access, VA’s work contributes to breaking the cycle of undernutrition which ultimately promotes health and economic equity across the lifespan for underserved populations.
In 2019, VA supported the delivery of these evidence-based nutrition interventions to 70M nutritionally vulnerable mothers and children in underserved communities in 70 countries (including the US, Canada, and the UK) through a network of over 2,500 program partners.
ROLE OR PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Multimedia Designer is a key player on the VA Learning Solutions team. Working with the team, the Multimedia Designer will develop, expand and implement VA’s visual learning tools for a global audience of learners, many of which have limited access to technology and internet. The ideal candidate is a digital/video hybrid who understands the limitations of technology and access to internet of learners in hard-to-reach, often remote areas globally.
The Multimedia Designer reports to the Learning Solutions Manager, collaborating with the Learning Solutions unit and Program division, and oversees relationships with digital and technical agencies to implement initiatives and ensure access to digital learning tools to program partners. S/he applies expertise in all aspects of Multimedia Design while working to promote, exemplify and further the mission2 and values of VA.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Produce high-quality visual media for mobile apps, eLearning, and written learning tools that convey educational or programmatic messages succinctly and clearly and that are accessible in high- and/or low-technology settings
- Create multimedia educational content such as videos, graphics, documents, and infographics used primarily in VA’s digital and written learning tools
- Optimize video and other multimedia content for digital platforms including mobile apps and eLearning
- Identify opportunities to increase the visibility of VA learning initiatives and activities
- Provide guidance on the development of supplementary digital content that aids in learning and audience building
- Keep abreast of accessibility of digital and multimedia best practices and emerging trends for VA’s target audience, specifically in underserved communities, and make recommendations on opportunities for adoption by VA
- Track and report digital metrics to assess efficacy of digital strategies in driving learner engagement
- Design, layout and prepare files for print or publication
- Log, archive, and manage learning material
- Oversee, maintain, and update the VA Learning Solutions web pages with updated learning material
- Educate through digital and traditional media
- Contribute story ideas and new ways of thinking
- Other duties as assigned
LEVEL OF DECISION-MAKING
Within the bounds of VA’s mission, values and policies, and sound professional practices, the Multimedia Designer works to implement Learning Solutions’ creative design and provides day-to-day oversight and guidance to outsourced vendors supporting the implementation of VA’s Learning Solutions offerings. S/he is free to manage his/her activities in whatever way best serves VA clients, partners, and employees. Specific authorities and implementation procedures will be determined in conjunction with the Learning Solutions Manager.
VA operates under a collaborative, matrix management model. The Multimedia Designer is supervised by the Learning Solutions Manager with respect to overall assignments and performance, and interacts daily with other team members to coordinate his/her activities. The Multimedia Designer establishes his/her daily work priorities and ensures that all responsibilities are conducted consistent with accepted best practices, sound professional judgment and within established schedule and budget.
- Learning Solutions Manager
- Digital and technical activity vendors
Primary Working Relationships:
- Learning Solutions Manager
- Subject Matter Experts
- Division staff, advisors, and short-term independent contractors
- Technical staff at partner institutions
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED AND DESIRED)
- Bachelor’s degree in Multimedia Design or related field from an accredited university
- 3+ years of experience in multimedia production
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple work streams
- Expertise creating and editing videos
- Graphic design skills and advanced knowledge of Adobe Premiere Pro, InDesign, Photoshop, other Adobe Creative Cloud, or other relevant editing software required
- Competent at digital content management: WordPress, etc.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Strong outreach and verbal communication skills
- Fluency in written and oral English required
- Experience developing accessible multimedia and digital tools for low-and-middle-income countries or areas with limited internet access
- Ability to present information to a global audience
- Experience working with, and preferably managing, agencies or third party contractors
- Travel experience in low-and-middle-income countries
- Ability to communicate in additional language
CHALLENGES OF THE POSITION
The special challenges for the Multimedia Designer are that s/he must function effectively in an organization under continuing transformation and growth as well provide steady, top-level guidance and experience to all visual and digital efforts in a collaborative environment. S/he must: i) function effectively in an organization under continuing transformation and growth, ii) provide steady, top-level guidance and experience to all media efforts in a collegial/collaborative environment while understanding risk management for non-profits that operate in the health care arena, iii) be comfortable with an organization that seeks to apply, as feasible, market and business oriented solutions to its non-profit work, iv) function within a working environment that demands entrepreneurial orientation, self-initiative and collaboration among many team members both internal and external to VA, v) possess an ability to work effectively/efficiently and thrive in an environment in which many VA team members both internal and external to the Program Division are situated out of a home office in multiple time zones and accessible only by videoconference, phone and email, and vi) understand the need to balance marketing and development requests with the need to ensure that program decisions are not donor driven.
To apply, interested persons should submit a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae to:
Maureen Boyle, Director of Human Resources
E-mail: [email protected]
Resumes will be accepted until December 15, 2020 or until a qualified applicant is identified.
Comprehensive benefit package includes: Medical, Dental and Vision Care, Life Insurance, 401(k), Paid Time Off, Holidays, Wellness Program and more. as