Position: Program Senior Marketing Manager (Exempt Position)
Employer: Vitamin Angels Alliance, Inc.
Location: Flexible. This person can work remotely from anywhere in the US or work from our corporate headquarters in Goleta, CA or our office in Chicago, IL, or any combination thereof.
Date: June 2022
About Vitamin Angels
Founded in 1994, Vitamin Angels is a public health nonprofit working to improve nutrition and health outcomes in low-resource settings worldwide. We strengthen, extend, and amplify the impact of our partner organizations working to reach the most nutritionally vulnerable groups – pregnant women, infants, and children – who are underserved by existing systems. We do this by delivering evidence-based interventions and offering technical assistance, including ongoing monitoring and evaluation, to ensure program quality, scale, and impact. Vitamin Angels works with over 1,200 local organizations, including governments, to reach more than 70 million women and children in 65 countries annually. Both Charity Navigator and GuideStar give Vitamin Angels their highest marks for financial transparency. To learn more, visit: www.vitaminangels.org.
Vitamin Angels is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We are committed to fostering a supportive environment where everyone can contribute, thrive, and grow.
High-level Description of Position
Vitamin Angels (VA) is seeking an individual to help facilitate the marketing strategy and its executions for foundational and emerging opportunities in support of the Program Division. The Program Senior Marketing Manager (PSMM) is a key player on Vitamin Angels Marketing team and acts as the primary liaison between the Marketing team and the Program Division.
The role of the Program Senior Marketing Manager is to work with the Program Division to understand their activities, initiatives, etc.; and manage strategic communication with Program-centric partners and technical audiences, as it relates to overall Vitamin Angels marketing and divisional needs. The PSMM is an “account manager” who liaises between Marketing and partner Divisions to help advocate, support and execute on our collective priorities. This position will represent the brand of Vitamin Angels and uphold the image of the organization by remaining sensitive to the complexities of nonprofit marketing, especially as it pertains to Program audiences, brand development, supporting and executing on a new communications strategy and other emerging opportunities/needs.
The ideal candidate will have exceptional communications and writing skills (both technical and creative), a strong understanding of marketing principles, and an appreciation and investment in the work of the Program Division and its aspirations.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The major duties and responsibilities of the Program Senior Marketing Manager are as follows:
- Primary point-person for the Program Division and their program and technical partners for all marketing needs
- Manages the internal education effort/process to translate programs work for the marketing and development teams (regular updates to the organization, and bringing the stakeholders and educators together).
- Manages the technical aspects of VA’s brand, and works collaboratively with the VA Associate Director of Brand to ensure VA’s work is represented appropriately through the public brand and messaging. Also collaborates on areas of opportunity to represent a broader and more accurate picture of our work.
- Creates annual communication plan for Program Division audiences, including public health professionals and VA technical and program partners.
- Leads overall Marketing strategy across the GTM (Go To Market) and Brand/Creative team to ensure strategy aligns with and supports the objectives of Program Division, including representation of our technical work.
- Collaborates with other internal teams to develop and monitor marketing initiatives in support of the Program Divisions’ marketing and communication needs.
- Leads the execution of marketing initiatives from start to finish, driving collaboration with the stakeholders and leveraging the right internal approval processes.
- Develops and creates marketing, education and presentation materials, and ensures brand guidelines are met – where needed expands and builds Program-relevant guidelines to support divisions’ unique technical communications needs.
- In partnership with Technical Writer on the Programs team, is able to draft technical communications for the programs division and translate those to the rest of the organization.
- Works with the Program Division to add value to the partnership through marketing endeavors across core, emerging and occasion-based opportunities.
- Reports status and key metrics to management team.
- Partners with creative teams, other internal stakeholders, and external agencies and vendors.
Who You Are
- Positive, proactive, solutions-oriented.
- Strong understanding of key principles within public health and nutrition.
- Authentic passion and connection for Vitamin Angels mission and values.
- Thinks big-picture, long-term and holistically; capable of connecting the dots and integrating opposing elements into cohesive execution in the short-term and long-term.
- Deep understanding of the unique marketing and communication needs of an evolving non-profit.
- Ability to drive projects from start to finish.
- Ability to work with a funding model that involves the private sector (corporations), and balancing this against reputational risks.
- Must work well independently and within (facilitate, manage, support and participate) cross-cultural, cross-functional and matrixed teams.
- Thorough appreciation of and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Sensitivity to cultural and circumstantial norms and differences.
- Builds strong internal and external working relationships.
- Creative and thoughtful, passion for the Brand, with a desire to drive innovation.
- Effective communicator able to inspire action in others.
Experience & Qualifications
- 4-year college degree - or equivalent experience (Marketing, Business, Nutrition, Public Health or Communications majors preferred).
- 3-5 years professional experience in a related role for a nonprofit, academic institution, or foundation with a track record of advancement.
- Demonstrable experience aligning technical messaging across an organization.
- Experience communicating complex topics across a broad range of audiences.
- Ability to synthesize historical data, post-mortems with marketing research and other information sources to develop go-to-market strategies that align with organizational goals.
- Budget management skills to ensure budget tracking in line with plans/projections & ROI.
- Has worked in a global organization spanning all time zones.
- Ability to exercise high degree of discretion, professionalism and tact, especially with regard to confidential or sensitive information.
- Ability to manage stress, including but not limited to stress resulting from local and foreign travel, large crowds, open spaces, shared office space, and daily activities.
- Ability to move, or carry, approximately 20-40 lbs. on a regular basis.
- Ability to remain seated for extended periods of time, including but not limited to prolonged air travel, and general job assignments perform at a desk.
- Must have a valid passport and ability to travel internationally.
- Ability to walk or hike in conditions which may include uneven surfaces, inclinations, stairs, extreme weather, long distances, elevation changes or extremes, and / or other conditions associated with foreign travel.
Level of Decision-Making
Within the bounds of VA’s mission, values and policies, and sound professional practices, the Program Senior Marketing Manager has the broad discretion to use independent judgement to manage their activities in whatever way will best serve VA clients, partners, employees, and mission.
VA operates under a collaborative, matrix management model. The Program Senior Marketing Manager is supervised by the Vice President of Marketing (or his/her designee), coordinates his/her activities with other leaders (Development, Programs, Marketing and Corporate Services) or their designated staff, and interacts daily with a range of members of the VA team. Each VA team member establishes work priorities and ensures that their individual activities are continuing within the context of an established schedule and budget.
Primary working relationships:
Applications will be accepted until July 15, 2022, or until a qualified applicant is identified.