The PR & Engagement Leader shapes the external reputation of the Brand, expanding reach and generating brand heat, through strategic media relations, PR and influencer campaigns.
Scope includes strategic media relations, social platforms, publicity, internal and external communications, and trade relations.
S/he applies expertise in all aspects of program design, management and implementation while working to promote, exemplify and further the mission, values and culture of VA.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working closely with the Director Marketing, you are the lead in developing and executing integrated brand, community and program/Corporate Partner-related public relations strategies, combining digital and social media strategies with print and broadcast consumer media initiatives.
- You’re a key player on a talented team that is passionate about extending Vitamin Angels’ long-term brand equity and trust with media.
- You develop and lead on new and dynamic public-facing initiatives that support the overarching goals of the organization in the areas of program education and brand building.
- You create compelling program, brand and community messaging, and use your strong media relations skills to coach company spokespersons.
- You build authentic relationships with key media, industry influencers and Corporate Partners that results in authentic earned editorial.
- You work cross-functionally with other teams to build integrated strategies across various communication platforms to elevate overarching company-wide initiatives.
- You manage day-to-day media relations and support the public relations agency.
- You are responsible for press asset development including press materials, bios, backgrounders, fact sheets and in-depth media list development.
- Strategy Development
- Collaborates with Go-to-Market (GTM) and Brand teams to ensure alignment of PR strategy with brand marketing objectives, ensuring a cohesive and integrated brand experience.
- Partners with Development and Program teams to align PR initiatives against brand and program strategies.
- Leads the creation and implementation of an integrated and globally relevant PR strategy that elevates the brand.
- Helps to identify and build strategic “launches” via influencer/Corporate Partners to drive brand heat via content, collaborations, etc.
- Ensures PR strategies are brand-right, consumer-focused, globally and commercially relevant, innovative and effective in driving brand awareness, engagement and loyalty with targeted media and consumers.
- Partners with Marketing counterparts to translate PR initiatives across channels to build brand awareness and deliver a seamless brand experience.
- Leads all PR initiatives and briefs respective needs with internal team and external agencies (as needed) across creative, event, content, and digital extensions of PR plans.
- Prepares and implements overall PR plan for the brand, ensuring that it is in line with the marketing and communication strategy defined by the Mktg Director.
- Partners closely with GTM/Digital team on Influencer and collaboration outreach and negotiations.
Agency Management & Analytics
- Manages relationships with PR agency and/or contractors and develops and distributes documentation of project information with internal and external groups.
- Provide analytics and measurement reports on the current status of our PR efforts and ongoing recommendations to influence future PR strategy.
- Determines appropriate metrics and KPI’s to monitor ongoing effectiveness of PR initiatives.
- Analyzes data from key channels and markets to determine PR opportunities to help drive business.
- As needed, also leads search/review for new outside resources as needed.
Media & Influencer Relations
- Initiates and maintains relationships with members of the media, influencers and brand partners.
- Directs press relations activities, such as preparation of press releases, pitches, press kits, etc.
- Responsible for national media relations, manages own network, and facilitates contact for brand President & senior management.
- Ensures proactive contact with the different media and influencers (print/TV/digital/influencers/celebrities) through regular interaction.
- Creates the annual PR budget, with regular management and tracking for all PR activity.
Level of Decision-Making
Within the bounds of VA’s mission, values and policies, and sound professional practices, the PR and Engagement Lead is free to manage his/her activities in whatever way will best serve VA clients, partners and employees. Specific authorities associated with this position and their implementation procedures will be determined in conjunction with the Director of Marketing.
VA operates under a collaborative, matrix management model. The PR and Engagement Lead, who is supervised by the Director of Marketing (or his/her designee) with respect to overall assignments and performance, interacts daily with all members of the VA team. The PR and Engagement Lead establishes his/her daily work priorities and ensures that project activities continue consistent with the established schedule and budget.
|Reports to:||Director of Marketing|
|Primary working relationships:||
• Director of Marketing
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Required and Desired)
- Know what it means to build authentic and meaningful relationships with key media and influencers.
- Have 5 years of dynamic experience in public relations and experience working with lifestyle brands.
- Have existing media relationships and a strong understanding of the digital landscape.
- Have lifestyle product and retail experience.
- Have experience managing agency relationships.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills; and strong presentation skills.
- Quickly and easily develop relationships and people come to you for advice because they trust your opinion.
- Are a strong writer and compelling storyteller.
- Work in a fast-paced and lively environment
- Meet tight deadlines
- Give & receive feedback
- Be flexible and adapt to change
- Be proactive and strategic
Challenges of the Position
The challenge to individuals in the PR and Engagement Lead position is functioning in an environment characterized by transition. On an ongoing basis, the main challenge to the PR and Engagement Lead is an ability to thrive in an environment that requires significant self-initiative, collaboration among many team members both internal and external to VA, and an ability to work effectively and efficiently with some management that is generally situated out of headquarters and accessible only by phone and email.
 Our mission is to help at-risk populations in need – specifically pregnant women, new mothers, and children under five – gain access to lifesaving and life changing vitamins and minerals.