Position: Senior Accountant
Employer: Vitamin Angel Alliance, Inc. (VA)
Division: Corporate Services
Location: Flexible. This person can work remotely from anywhere in the continental US or work from our corporate headquarters in Goleta, CA or our office in Chicago, IL, or any combination thereof.
About Vitamin Angels
Vitamin Angels is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We are a dedicated group of individuals who aim to foster a supportive environment where everyone can contribute, thrive, and grow.
Role or Purpose of Position
Vitamin Angels is seeking an experienced Senior Accountant. Vitamin Angels is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that operates in all 50 states and in 65 countries around the world.
This new role within the Corporate Services team will report to the Controller. We are investing in growing our accounting team in order to standardize the accounting functions and meet the reporting and analysis demands of key stakeholders such as our Board, technical partners, corporate donors, and the CFO. This person will be experienced in various accounting processes, including accounts payable, balance sheet reconciliations, variance analysis, posting journal entries, and in processing payroll.
This is an excellent position for someone who has a strong attention to detail, demonstrated initiative and ability to problem solve, enjoys working in a team environment, and wants to have a direct impact on supporting the growth of our organization.
This position will work to promote, exemplify and further the mission, values and culture of Vitamin Angels.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with Staff Accountant by performing a weekly detailed review and processing of large volume payables
- Process multi-state semi-monthly payroll in for 50+ US based employees including ongoing support of payroll related activities (i.e. 401k, insurance)
- Ongoing administration of the corporate credit card program
- Work closely with PEO companies in countries where there are international employees
- Month-end close including: review of bank reconciliations prepared by Staff Accountant, closing entries, review/reconciliation of credit cards, and preparation of supporting workpapers
- Special projects and other related duties, as assigned
Assist Controller with:
- Quarterly/Annual budgeting and reforecasting process
- Monthly/Quarterly/Annual financial reporting
- Grant expense tracking and reporting
- Annual audits, tax returns, and other regulatory reports
- Accounting and reporting for international entities, including wires
- Ongoing assessment and improvement of processes and internal controls
Level of Decision-Making
Within the bounds of VA’s mission, values and policies, and sound professional practices, the Senior Accountant has the discretion to use independent judgment to make decisions of significant consequence that affect VA clients, partners, and employees.
VA operates under a collaborative, matrix management model. The Senior Accountant establishes their own daily work priorities and ensures that all responsibilities are conducted consistent with accepted best practices, sound professional judgment and within established schedule and budget.
Primary working relationships:
Staff Accountant, Controller, CFO, HR, Budget Owners
Qualifications and Skills (Required and Preferred)
- Minimum three years’ experience in a Senior Accountant (or similar) role
- B.Sc. degree in a relevant discipline (accounting, finance, management) from an accredited university or relevant equivalent experience
- Strong/Advanced Excel skills including vlookups and pivot tables
- Proficiency with information technology (e.g. basic office tolls including Outlook, Word and Excel; practical understanding of internet applications use)
- Strong analytical skills, initiative, accuracy and attention to detail
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and ability to work independently
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to remain seated for extended periods of time, including but not limited to general job assignments perform at a desk.
- Ability to manage stress, including but not limited to stress resulting from large crowds, open spaces, shared office space, and daily activities.
Preferred (not required):
- Nonprofit experience
- Experience processing multi-state payroll
- Experience with Sage Intacct (or similar cloud-based accounting ERP) and/or Proliant/RPO payroll software
Comprehensive benefit package includes Medical, Dental and Vision Care, Life Insurance, 401(k) employer contributions, Paid Time Off, Holidays, Wellness Program, paid paternal/maternal leave, $1000 health and wellness reimbursement, and more!
Applications will be accepted until June 30, 2022 or until a qualified applicant is identified.