EMPLOYER: The Vitamin Angels Alliance, Inc. (VA)
POSITION: Staff Accountant
LOCATION: Goleta, CA
DEPARTMENT: Corporate Services
DATE: December 2020
ROLE OR PURPOSE OF POSITION
Vitamin Angels is seeking an experienced Staff Accountant. Vitamin Angels is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that operates in all 50 states and in 70 countries around the world.
This role within the Corporate Services team will report to the Controller. We are investing in growing our accounting team in order to standardize the accounting functions and meet the reporting and analysis demands of key stakeholders such as: our Board, technical partners, corporate donors, and the CFO. This person will have an excellent attention to detail and be highly proficient in Excel and information technology. The main purpose of the position is to: 1) Process payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, record revenue, and all functions relating to those items and 2) Perform ongoing, detailed reconciliations of cash accounts. The Vitamin Angels office is remaining closed through June 2021. Accordingly, this position will initially be a remote, work-from-home position. Eventually, this will be an “in office” role once our Goleta VA offices are open again.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Process bi-monthly payroll in QuickBooks, including submittal of 401(k) data to Fidelity, and transmittal of payroll taxes to various governmental entities via QuickBooks software.
- Weekly processing of accounts payable, including international wire submissions for Controller/CFO approval.
- Preparation of donor invoices (AR) as requested by the Development Team.
- Ongoing reconciliation of donations between Salesforce, Sage Intacct, and bank activity.
- Daily entry of cash transactions from various sources (check deposits, web donations, incoming wires, and credit cards), weekly reconciliation of major cash accounts, and monthly bank reconciliations of all cash and investment accounts.
- Assist the Controller with the month-end close, financial reporting, and budget variance analysis.
- Provide daily/weekly/monthly reporting to the Controller, CFO, and other departments relating to the areas of responsibility as requested.
- Assist the Controller with the annual audit and annual tax forms.
- Assist with implementing and maintaining internal financial controls and procedures.
Level of Decision-Making
Within the bounds of VA’s mission, values and policies, and sound professional practices, the Staff Accountant is free to manage his/her activities in whatever way best serves VA clients, partners, and employees. Specific authorities and implementation procedures will be determined in conjunction with the Controller.
REPORTS TO: Controller
SUPERVISES: No direct reports
PRIMARY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS: Controller, CFO, Director of Information Technology, SVP of Operations, Budget Managers for each department (Development, Marketing, and Programs).
TRAVEL REQUIRED: No
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED AND PREFERRED)
- Minimum two years experience in a Staff Accountant (or similar) role
- Proficiency with information technology (e.g., basic office tools including Word and Excel; practical understanding of internet applications use; practical knowledge of relational databases (e.g. SalesForce)
- Must have a strong attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Superior interpersonal skills
Preferred (not required):
- B.Sc. degree in a relevant discipline (accounting, finance, management) from an accredited university
- Nonprofit experience
- Experience sending international wires
- Experience with Intacct (or similar cloud-based accounting ERP) and/or Salesforce
To apply, interested persons should submit a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae to: Maureen Boyle, Director of Human Resources
E-mail: [email protected]
Resumes will be accepted until January 15, 2021 or until a qualified applicant is identified. We will start scheduling interviews after the holidays.
Comprehensive benefit package includes: Medical, Dental and Vision Care, Life Insurance, 401(k), Paid Time Off, Holidays, Wellness Program and more.